UAE Doctors appeals parents to keep away children from batteries and magnets following notable rise in such cases

Doctors of the United Arab Emirates, in an appeal to the parents, asked them to keep their children away from magnets and button batteries. This request of the Doctors came after a number of children for ingesting or choking on the aforementioned objects. 

Abu Dhabi, UAE: The Doctors of the United Arab Emirates, in an appeal to the parents, asked them to keep their children away from magnets and button batteries. This request of the Doctors came after a number of children for ingesting or choking on the aforementioned objects. 

As per reports, Al Jalila Children’s Specialty Hospital in Dubai, so far, has successfully treated more than fifty (50) children who digested magnets and batteries in the last year. 

Advertisement

Meanwhile, in this year, a total of 9 similar medical cases have been reported so far by the healthcare facilities. 

The Doctors noted that the other objects, such as – marbles, buttons or earrings, easily pass via without serious injury, but objects like – magnets and button batteries can prove to be lethal.  

Dr Christos Tzivinikos, gastroenterology consultant with the hospital’s Aerodigestive Service, speaking on the matter, cited, “These batteries can form a strong chemical reaction in throat or stomach of an individual, which further leads to severe internal bleeding and a host of other issues”. 

He then added, “Any of the swallowed objects can get trapped in the oesophagus before reaching the stomach, requiring expert medical treatment at a specialised aerodigestive hospital to make sure safe removal. Batteries & magnets can burn via the oesophagus within 2 hours, meaning early detection is often the difference between a quick and complete recovery and long-term effects.” 

Dr Safeena Kherani, a consultant in paediatric otolaryngology-head and neck surgery at Al Jalila, asserted, “Parents must be exceptionally attentive to where small, harmful objects can be seen around their residences. A child who has eaten an unfamiliar object must be taken immediately to a specialist for treatment as aerodigestive disorders are generally complex and require a multidisciplinary approach to their management”. 

In addition, last year also witnessed a ban on the small magnetic balls, also known as “rare-earth magnets”. The decision was taken by government, following the increasing risk among children swallowing the object. 

Advertisement

Doctors noted that the symptoms might occur after a few times, but an infant can face an issue in breathing falling sick. According to the National Health Service of the United Kingdom, vomit, blood and cough are likely to emerge if an individual accidentally swallows batteries. 

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Read More

Dubai approves formation of Hatta Traders Council to support new local businessmen

The Dubai government has authorised the formation of a new Hatta Traders Council. This Council will support local, new Emirati business people and entrepreneurs as part of the Hatta Master Development Plan, which strives to turn the city into a major tourist destination.

US welcomes Indian students, values their contributions, says Christopher Elms

India: Christopher Elms, the spokesperson of the US (United States) Embassy in New Delhi, has commented on welcoming Indian Students to the US campuses and communities and stated that the US embassy values the contribution and benefactions they offer to their country.

Over 23.8 million COVID vaccine doses administered in UAE

Dubai, United Arab Emirates: The Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP) notifies that a total of 34,499 doses of the WHO-approved COVID-19 vaccines have...

Recent

US reports 93000 Drug Overdose Deaths hitting the highest record- CDC Reports!

United States has seen a 30% increase in the deaths caused by overuse of drugs. In 2020, the country hit the highest number of...

Indian High School launches new building with 44 new classrooms and many amenities

The Indian High School (IHS), located on oud Mehta Road, Dubai, has launched a new building on Thursday, 26 May, to meet the demand for more seats.

Sheikh Mohammed appreciated and congratualtes winners 25th edition of the Dubai International Holy Quran

His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Ruler of Dubai and Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE (United Arab Emirates), received guests of the President, scholars, His Highness Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, as well as judges, guests and supreme committee members of the Dubai International Holy Quran Award, at the Shindagha Majlis in Dubai.