On Thursday, the Israeli authorities have extended the detention without charge or trial of the chronically ill-Palestinian teenager. He has been in custody for more than a year, and now it has been extended for four more months.
The 17-year-old teenager, who has been identified as Amal Nakhleh, was among those minors who were arrested under ‘administrative detention’. It is a controversial practice followed in the nation, which allows the police to arrest the suspect without charges, which can be renewed for six months while the investigation continues.
17-year-old’s father, Moammar Nakhleh, a journalist, interacted with the media after the latest court proceeding. His father said, “Despite the illness of my son, the occupation tribunal renewed his administrative detention for four months, for the fourth time”.
Nakhleh further said that “Under the new orders, my son will be under detention until May 18.”
There are no latest comments on the administrative detention of Amal Nakhleh by the Shin Bet domestic security agency. But, previously it was revealed that he has been “suspected of taking part in terrorist-related activities”.
How did The Israeli authorities detain Amal Nakhleh?
For the first time, the teenager was arrested in November 2020 in the occupied West Bank. Reportedly, the boy has been suffering from myasthenia, a rare neuromuscular disease and was out with his friends after recovering from the cancer surgery.
Nakhleh was arrested under the suspicion of throwing stones at the soldiers, but he was released after 40 days by an Israeli judge.
The 17-year-old was once again arrested in January 2021 and has been placed in administrative detention, renewed for one more time.
The Palestinians, human rights groups, and the foreign governments have been criticising Israel’s administrative detention. However, the Israeli administration has backed the practice, and the foreign ministry has said that it is an effective and lawful security measure.