Oscar Wilde, fully known as Oscar Fingal O’Flahertie Wills Wilde, was a famous Irish poet as well as playwriter. He gained popularity in the early 1890s with his writings.
Being remembered for his plays and epigrams, Wilde’s novel The Picture of Dorian Gray is quite popular among book lovers. He died 30 November 1900 from meningitis at age 46.
List of best quotes by Oscar Wilde:
- Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell the truth.
- Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
- Everything in moderation, including moderation.
- You don’t love someone for their looks, or their clothes or their fancy car, but because they sing a song only you can hear.
- I am so clever that sometimes I don’t understand a single word of what I am saying.
- There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.
- You can never be overdressed or overeducated.
- I can never travel without my diary; one should always have something sensational to read on the train.
- To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.
- Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
- Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go.
- Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes.
- Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious.
- If you are not too long, I will wait here for you all my life.
- A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.
- Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead.
- Between men and women, there is no friendship possible. There is passion, enmity, worship, love, but no friendship.
- The suspense is terrible. I hope it will last.
- A man’s face is his autobiography. A woman’s face is her work of fiction.