UAE strongly criticises brutal attack on Nigeria’s church in which 50 got killed

The United Arab Emirates has strongly criticised the terrorist attack in which over 50 people got killed, with many others being severely injured as gunmen targeted a church in southwestern Nigeria.

The United Arab Emirates has strongly criticised the terrorist attack in which over 50 people got killed, with many others being severely injured as gunmen targeted a church in southwestern Nigeria.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation (MoFAIC), in a statement, asserted the country’s strong condemnation of these criminal acts and its enduring rejection of all types of terrorism and violence strived at destabilising security in violation of humanitarian principles and values.

Advertisement

Shooters with guns and explosives stormed a Catholic church and started a fire in southwest Nigeria on Sunday, killing several worshippers and injuring others, the police and government said.

The brutality at St. Francis Catholic Church in Owo, located in the Ondo state, was caused during the morning service in a rare shooting in southwest Nigeria, where criminals and militant gangs operate in other regions.

The UAE ministry has also expressed its sincere consolations and sympathy to the Nigerian government and citizens and the families of the victims of this brutal crime and its wishes for a quick recovery for all those injured.

As per Adelegbe Timileyin, who represents the Owo area in Nigeria’s lower legislative chamber, the presiding priest was also kidnapped.

A doctor in the hospital in Owo, a town in Nigeria’s southwest area, said that no less than 50 dead bodies had been moved to the FMC (Federal Medical Center) in Owo and St. Louis Catholic Hospital, and medics in the same hospital are treating many others with injuries from bullets and explosives.

President of Nigeria, Muhammadu Buhari, has criticised the vicious attack while calling it blatant. The reason and identity of the attackers are not yet apparent.

Advertisement

Police spokesperson for Ondo state, Funmilayo Ibukun Odunlami, said that there had been a happening at the Saint Francis Catholic Church located in Owo and said police would raise a further comment soon.

Tariq Saeed

Read More

DEWA expresses pleasure in success of ‘Dubai Fitness Challenge 2022’ initiative

Dubai Electricity and Water Authority took the initiative to participate in the ongoing Dubai Fitness Challenge 2022, '30 x 30,' which started on 29 October and will be ending on 27 November.

UAE: Minister of Labour Faisal Al-Atibi promotes women’s rights in Cairo 

The Minister of Immigration and Labour Extension of Saudi Arabia, Faisal Al- Atibi, has recently met with the Minister of Immigration and Egyptian Affairs Abroad, Soha Gendi, in Cairo, Egypt.

Jorge Masvidal Drops to No. 5 in Latest UFC Rankings!!

UFC: Quickly after Kamaru Usman revealed Jorge Masvidal for his fourth-level title defense, Conor McGregor slightly included himself into the discussion again. Like he usually...

Recent

St Kitts and Nevis: PM Terrance Drew shares calendar for Labour Weekend Celebrations

Dr Terrance Drew –The Prime Minister and Minister of Health of St Kitts and Nevis, has invited the citizens of the Caribbean Island to participate in the Labour Weekend Celebration 2023.

Dubai Police Crack Down on Phone Fraudsters: 494 Arrested in Major Sting Operation

In a resounding victory against cybercrime, Dubai Police have struck a decisive blow against phone fraudsters, culminating in the arrest of 494 individuals involved...

Abu Dhabi Police reports 759,000 engagements in community policing activities

The General Command of the Abu Dhabi Police has recently issued an update regarding the 759,000 community members who benefited from the activities of the community policing department of the community safety sector in the Abu Dhabi Police during the first half of 2023.
admin